It’s hard to believe we’re celebrating our 2nd anniversary at AMRoC! It’s been two years this month since we opened our doors to the public, and one of them a pandemic year. But here we are, a living creative laboratory thriving and embarking on our third year awash in robots and drones, launching new businesses (20 so far) through our Equity in Entrepreneurship program, with no end in sight to the opportunity and innovation we feel is possible through our robust collaborative partnerships .
We can’t wait to see where the next year takes us! But we can tell you where the next month is taking us: Up and away with the first of this summer’s Drone Camps for youth ages 10 and up, enjoying 1 Million Cups presentations by our most recent Equity in Entrepreneurship cohort, and celebrating the creative solutions to our Young Innovators Challenge and Prop Making Competition, both culminating this month.
Read on and jump in anywhere!
June Events & Programs
- June 1 & 15 – MicroDrone Night with Tampa Drones 6pm– come fly your microdrones on the AMRoC drone field every 1st and 3rd Tuesday, at 6pm – RSVP to [email protected]
- June 4 – First Friday at the Fab Lab – 6pm– This month’s speaker TBA – before Friday, we promise! Recent First Friday speakers have included Donnie Coryea , of AfterShokz, Shane Vanderkooi of Green Mouse Academy & HADO FL, and Dr. Sylvia Thomas of the University of South Florida College of Engineering.
- June 16 – Consumer Car Care with Pam Oakes of US Auto Training – 6pm– Join us the 3rd Wednesday of each month for a fun and engaging look at how to be your own best auto advocate, with Automotive Standards Expert, Pam Oakes, of U.S. Auto Training.
- June 18 – Open Make – By appointment only for now, we’re bringing Open Make back to AMRoC Fab Lab on trial basis, from 3pm to 7pm every 4th Friday. Reserve your Open Make spot here.
- June 26 – Uptown Tampa Redevelopment Community Conversations – 6pm – University area residents are invited to participate in our monthly Uptown Tampa Community Conversations at AMRoC Fab Lab. Each session explores aspects of area redevelopment underway, solicits feedback from participants about concerns and ideas, explores how to maximize opportunities for residents, and how residents can have an active voice in upcoming changes. RSVP here.
Celebrate Tampa’s Newest Entrepreneurs!
We’re super excited to be graduating our 2nd Equity in Entrepreneurship (Equinent) cohort from our Spring ’21 class! 1 Million Cups Tampa presentations are the capstone project for the class. The Hillsborough County Entrepreneur Collaborative Center facilitates scheduling participants for a dedicated period of time, so they can complete their program together, and this time around, participants are all speaking in June.
Here’s the line up:
|6/2/21||Nadina Taylor||Jesus, Tea, & Me, LLC|
|6/9/21||Dennis Mont’Ros||D. Mont’Ros Enterprises, LLC|
|6/9/21||Neville Trim Lauder||Trim Printing, LLC|
|6/16/21||Vivian Fisk||Bay to Bay Arts, LLC|
|6/16/21||Karen Robinson||Legacy Provisions, LLC|
|6/23/21||Andrew Zides||Ample Health LLC|
|6/23/21||Shaywanda Bennett||Sylove Enterprises, LLC|
|6/30/21||Frankie Valle||Esthete Beard & Grooming Co., LLC|
|6/30/21||Shartavius Hilson||Salon Cafune, LLC|
You can tune in to 1 Million Cups on Facebook Live every Wednesday at 9am, and we especially hope you’ll tune in throughout June to cheer on these great new entrepreneurs!
Visit Equinent.com if you’re interested in being part of our next cohort, starting in August!
Other Special Events & Activities
- HADO AR Open Game Nights – every Saturday 3pm to 7pm – advance reservations recommended
- Fly a Drone Camp – June 21 – July 2 – Register by June 7 at tampadrones.com
Prop Making Competition – in partnership with New Tampa Players, enter by June 20
Young Innovators Summer Challenge – in partnership with the Florida Inventors Hall of Fame, enter by June 30
The AMRoC Research and Development team is available for consultation and hire to solve business and creative needs and challenges across a diverse field of expertise for public, private and government sectors.
Professional fees benefit youth programs, in addition to solving your work challenges. The team is currently working on technology solutions for marine, communications, and aerospace projects, and welcomes the opportunity to work explore creative solutions to your business challenges, as well!
Visit our AMRoC Services page to learn more and schedule an appointment.
AMRoC Kudos & High Fives!
Huge thanks to our amazing community partner, eSmart Recycling (at left), who hosted a Deconstruction Zone activity during our May eWaste Collection drive – and to everyone who helped us fill a 14 ft. truck with their donations!
Congratulations to FIRST Tech Challenge Team Duct Tape ( at right), on their great season, which included several awards and a spot in the State Championship.
Thank you to Dr. Lindy Davidson for pulling together the team pictured at left, which includes Dhalia Bambuca , and Meg Stowe, of USF Honors College, with student Maha Uppal , and AMRoC volunteer Dennis Mont’Ros, to work on an urban wall garden project at AMRoC. More details on this fun project soon!
And last but not least, a huge shout out to our fabulous elementary school VEX IQ team students, who just completed their season and did an amazing job!
Keep your eye on our calendar page and social media throughout the month for program updates, and summer camp notices.
Want to be at the front of the line for news and program updates? Subscribe to our monthly eNews Update via the button below!