May is National Inventors Month and AMRoC Fab Lab is celebrating by hosting a Taste of MakerCon. While the time isn’t quite right yet for a full blown maker festival, we’re stretching the fun out for a full Month of Making at AMRoC Fab Lab.
Each week in May features a different theme, with many of the creative elements of our annual maker festival event, and several in collaboration with some of our awesome community partners.
Check out our May schedule below, and join in the fun, all month long!
A Month of Making, Week by Week
- May 4-8 – Making a Living will feature creative ways earning a living, with entrepreneurial and innovative small businesses in the Uptown area, and participants from our Equity in Entrepreneurship program.
- May 11-15 – Making the Future celebrates with a variety of interactive and informative Science & Technology exhibits and workshops
- May 18-22 – Making Wellness will look at health and fitness sciences, green tech and sustainability.
- May 25- 29 – Making Joy will explore Arts & Entertainment, with visual, performing, technical, and culinary arts displays and workshops.
May Events & Programs
- May 4 & 18 , 6pm – MicroDrone Night with Tampa Drones – come fly your microdrones on the AMRoC drone field
- May 7 – 6pm, First Friday at the Fab Lab – Meet Donnie Coryea of Aftershokz, a new AMRoC Fab Lab community partner, and learn about the bone conducting audio headset technologies they’ve pioneered.
- May 7 & 21 –6pm – Build-a-Drone class – Build a drone from the ground – Up! And learn all about the different components of a drone as you do. $45 per class.
- May 15th – 1pm to 6pm – Robotics Open House – check out our elementary through high school level student robotics programs, drive robots and learn how you can be involved!
- May 19 – Consumer Car Care with Pam Oakes of US Auto Training – 6pm– Join us the 3rd Wednesday of each month – virtually for now – for a fun and engaging look at how to be your own best auto advocate, with Automotive Standards Expert, Pam Oakes, of U.S. Auto Training. This month we’re looking at electric and autonomous vehicles.
- May 22 – Uptown Tampa Redevelopment Community Conversations – 6pm – University area residents are invited to participate in our monthly Uptown Tampa Community Conversations at AMRoC Fab Lab. Each session explores aspects of area redevelopment underway, solicits feedback from participants about concerns and ideas, explores how to maximize opportunities for residents, and how residents can have an active voice in upcoming changes. This month we’re looking at health and wellness.
- May 22 – 11am to 2pm – eWaste Recycling Drive & Deconstruction Zone activities – Drop off your old, broken or unwanted tech at AMRoC Fab Lab between 11am and 2pm, and bring the kids so they can have fun at our Deconstruction Zone taking old gear apart and learning what’s inside! Hosted in partnership with eSmart Recycling.
- May 28 – May Open Make – By appointment only for now, we’re bringing Open Make back to AMRoC Fab Lab on trial basis, from 3pm to 7pm every 4th Friday.
Register for all programs at links provided.
Other Special Events & Activities
But wait, there’s more! We’re opening up HADO Florida fun to everyone, and hosting a Prop Making competition, in partnership with New Tampa Players! Check out details at the links.
- HADO AR Open Game Nights – every Saturday in May 3pm to 7pm – advance reservations recommended
- Prop Making Challenge – in partnership with New Tampa Players you can enter for a chance to have your prop used on stage for the play, Bloom, and free tickets to enjoy the performance with friends.
We hope you’re as excited about our Month of Making as we are, and that you’ll join us at AMRoC Fab Lab throughout May to explore all the different ways there are to learn by doing!