AMRoC Fab Lab is in the home stretch to a June Grand Opening. With a successful winter and spring behind us, we’ve been hard at work readying the machine shop and finalizing programming details.
What We’ve Done
Since the fall:
- AMRoCs FIRST Tech Challenge house team, Team Duct Tape, competed in the Florida FTC State Championship where they earned the Connect Award and a spot in the international FIRST Championship in Houston in April, where they faced off against 160 of the top teams worldwide. They didn’t bring home any trophies from Houston, but they did bring back plenty of lessons learned and new experiences.
- FCDI presented on AMRoC Fab Lab at the Houston Championship, capturing the interest and imagination of many others interested in doing something similar in their communities.
- We’ve hosted numerous events including Code for Tampa Bay Brigade’s Open Data Day and Homebrew Hillsborough, participated in outreach events with Children’s Services, the University Area Community Development Center, and MOSI’s Science after Dark event.
- We’ve got community partnerships underway with Hillsborough County Public Libraries, US Auto Training, Hillsborough County Extension Service, eSmart Recycling and many others.
We’ve received donations of computers, tools and machine shop equipment , have a great volunteer crew and hired our first intern, Marissa Schiereck, a University of South Florida student and FIRST alum, for the summer.
What We’re Doing
And we’ve got a growing suite of programs, classes and workshops on the calendar starting in June including:
- First Fridays at the Fab Lab – kicking things off June 7 with automotive expert, author and syndicated radio show host Pam Oakes, who is also teaching one of our first courses – RSVP here.
- ASE G1 (Automotive Repair) Interactive Test Prep Workshop – a four week certification test prep course starting June 8, with additional programming job readiness support from Hillsborough County Public Library System. Class fee is $56 and includes test prep book. Register here.
- ASCII Warriors – High School level programming club, starting June 12, and held the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays from 4:30pm to 6:30pm through the summer. Coached by Scott Ertz of PLuGHiTz Live, ASCII Warriors provides an opportunity fo high school and college students to learn about the world of software development through real world experience.
- BCDI Introduction to Disabilities Hiring for Manufacturers on June 19 – provided by the Business Center for Diversity and Inclusion, and aimed at helping local manufacturers and other businesses diversify their hiring
- STEAM Story Time for children, with Arthenia L. Joyner University Area Community Library staff, 11am on June 20th
How You Can Do it, Too!
Soon we’ll have information online and at the Fab Lab about Open Make days, youth robotics team open house recruitment, and how to become a member of AMRoC Fab Lab and have year round access to tools and resources anytime you’d like.
If you’re interested in volunteering – and putting hours towards a membership – register your interest here.
We’ve also go a lot of opportunities for corporate sponsorship, both fiscal and in-kind. Check out our comprehensive sponsorship package here and take an active and valuable role in helping create a powerful future for youth and adults in the Uptown Tampa area.